I have been making these spicy, chocolatey confections for years. Don’t tell my other cookie recipes this, but… these are my favorite. The chipotle adds a smoky depth to the chocolate and a little warmth. They are fabulous naked, but I know you’re going to want to decorate these babies! These cookies play very nicely with an almond flavored icing. Here is what I decorate with if you need a suggestion.
Arty’s Chocolate Chipotle Cookies
- 5 C flour
- 1 C cocoa powder
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground chipotle chile powder
- 2 C butter, softened
- 2 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Combine flour, salt, and spices.
- In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla until well combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture at low speed. Scrape down sides as needed until well combined.
Preheat oven to 350* Roll out and cut into desired shapes. Bake 8 – 10 minutes.
*Depending on who these cookies are for, you can go heavier on the spices. As written, there is just a hint of warmth at the end, but not spicy.